Robin Williams

One of the biggest news stories last week was the tragic suicide of comedian Robin Williams. There is no question that the world lost a great comic genius. His improvisational skills were unparalleled, and he made a lot of people laugh, including me.

Many of his fans, along with other Hollywood stars he preformed with, have talked about his warmth, passion, and humor, and they were uniformly stunned that a man who was so delightful and had everything one could want, would just kill himself like that.

But when I read the news, I wasn't the least bit surprised. Sad, definitely, but not surprised.

Although Robin Williams could make me laugh, he also creeped me out a little bit. Not intentionally, of course, but whenever I watched him I always felt a little uneasy. I sensed he had a dark side. It was nothing I could put my finger on or in any way define. Just a vague sense that deep inside of him something was terribly amiss. So while I found him to be entertaining, I never became a big fan. Something I can't define about him disturbed me enough that I never felt drawn to him as many people were.

When Mrs. Doubtfire came out, a movie which had some sad undertones along with its delightful humor, I tried to explain this feeling to someone but they looked at me like I was from Mars. So I'm wondering if anyone else picked up on it, or am I the only one?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Political Puzzles

Oh, Nikki, you're better at math than that.

Why I'm suspending donations to KDFC