Consider The Lily

My online Photography Gallery and Picture Shop had a bit of a makeover this past week, so it seems like a good excuse to tell the story of one of my favorite floral images.

Consider The Lily

In Carmel, California at the Church of the Wayfarer, there is a Biblical Garden featuring plants mentioned in the scriptures. I have often gone there in the spring and summer to see what's blooming. One foggy August day in 1995 I found this lily. I was trying out the 25 speed Kodak Royal Gold film, to see how it worked with flowers. There are very few color-print films that properly capture the subtle tones of a flower, at least to my satisfaction. As you can see, this film was a winner.

The summer fog of the Monterey Peninsula is a blessing for this type of work. It provides a soft, even light, avoiding harsh shadows and highlights. There was a slight breeze, so I had to be careful with movement. I set the aperture as small as I dared without getting too slow a shutter speed, and waited several minutes for the breeze to subside long enough to make the photograph.

Keeping with the theme of the Biblical Garden, I gave this a title based on a passage from the Sermon On The Mount, specifically Matthew 6:25-33. A good thought to reflect on as you enjoy this colorful display of nature.


If you'd like to have this photograph click the image above to be taken to the magic place where you can order framed or unframed prints for your wall. You can also get it on an oh-so-soft blanket, throw pillow, tote bag, or greeting cards customized with your own message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Political Puzzles

Things I've learned

Oh, Nikki, you're better at math than that.