I want more cheerleaders!

I'm a sports widower. I grew up with sisters and learned to cook. My wife grew up with brothers and learned to watch football, basketball, hockey, tennis, NASCAR, and ask "What's for dinner?" So I am forced to endure hour after hour of sports action on television when I'd rather be watching reruns of Star Trek and Gilligan's Island. I do enjoy Giant Spaceball (and only the Giants), a couple hours per year of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Golf Tournament, and small doses of the Olympics, but that's about as far as I go sportswise.

One thing that makes football tolerable are those hardworking NFL cheerleaders. They're very pretty, they're highly trained, and from what I understand they are paid very well.

Men, who make up the vast majority of sports fans, are generally known to enjoy looking at pretty girls. So why are NFL cheerleaders given so little screen time on TV? About the only time you see them are just before commercial breaks with corporate logos hiding their best features. What's the point of having pretty cheerleaders if you don't show them? This is madness!

It's not as if there are no opportunities to take the cameras away from the players
during football games. The cameras spend plenty of time on sweaty players on the bench with their helmets off and a paper cup in their hands, or standing around on the field between plays. Some of this time could be put to much better use by showing the cheerleaders doing what they spend hours training to do. Those fleeting two second glimpses just don't do them justice.

At least my wife is gracious enough to let me know when the cheerleaders are on, so I can look up from whatever I'm reading for a look. I count my blessings every time, because I know she loves me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Political Puzzles

Things I've learned

Oh, Nikki, you're better at math than that.