How do you say Jaguar?

I turned on the radio this morning and heard a commercial for the Monterey Jaguar auto dealership. I always liked the look of Jaguars, ever since I was a kid.

And we always called the car "JAG-waar"

My three dictionaries say this is correct.

In recent years Jaguars have been advertised by gentlemen with English accents who pronounce it JAG-you-ar. That rattled my ears a bit, but two of my dictionaries still say it is correct, albeit as a secondary pronunciation.  That said, JAG-you-ar always sounded pretentious to me, as if the user thought the dictionary's first pronunciation was lowbrow.

But on the radio this morning, I realized the local Jaguar dealer has no idea how to pronounce the name of their car. The lady with the voice selling cars said "JAG-wire."

She's probably a "real-uh-tur" who supports "nuc-u-lar" power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Political Puzzles

Why I'm suspending donations to KDFC

Oh, Nikki, you're better at math than that.