The right words

From the very first days of The Monterey Peninsula Toy Box the following quote has served as our introduction:

"In six days God created the Heavens and the Earth. On the seventh He made the Monterey Peninsula."

I first heard words to that effect one weekend long ago while watching the Bing Crosby Pro-Am Golf Tournament (now called the AT&T tournament) on TV. I didn't know if the announcers were quoting someone or had just made it up on the spot. But the words, or at least the general message, stuck in my mind and it seemed appropriate to put it on the Toy Box home page from day one.

The quote remained untouched for the last fourteen years and eleven months. It is now touched. A couple weeks ago a visitor to the Toy Box kindly informed me that the original quote was from Cal Brown, and was first written in a Golf Digest article. It was later re-quoted in the 1974 book Great Golf Courses of the World by William H. Davis. The correct quotation is:

"In the Bible it says that God made the world in six days and on the seventh, rested. But I think that on the seventh day he created the Monterey Peninsula."

Giving credit where it is due, I have now posted the correct original quotation, accompanied by Cal's good name, where my illegitimate version previously stood.

Cal Brown certainly had the right idea. I understand that he had several golf books to his name, including one called The Golf Courses of the Monterey Peninsula, which, evidently, he was somewhat familiar with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Political Puzzles

Oh, Nikki, you're better at math than that.

Why I'm suspending donations to KDFC